Today is a wonderful day my friends…. I’d like to introduce you to Ana Cabrera. In addition to being wildly creative and insanely talented, Ana has been working feverishly on the CK (CreatingKeepsakes) new online goodness for all the scrapbooking junkies out there.
I always ask this question but, it is something that I myself am interested in. How do you define Scrapbooking?
pictures+paper+imagination = scrapbooking
What does it mean to you? For me, scrapbooking is not really that serious. Ok, that may sound odd since I work in the industry, but I really… I have always just enjoyed playing with paper. That is what scrapbooking is to me. Does it tell a story or leave a legacy, sure, but at the root of it all, it is just fun!
What are the art supplies you simply cannot live without?
Kraft Cardstock, Hambly overlays, Making Memories tiny letter stickers, and vintage rhinestones. You can find at least one of these items on almost everything I do. The most used item in my arsenal, my ATG 700 gun. Anyone who knows me knows that this is my crafting best friend.
So, how does one do what you do? What are the pros and cons of being an editor?
This is always a funny question to me. My career path was something like this. Wedding singer, hip hop performer, hip hop teacher, professional chef, freelance graphic designer, editor, freelance scrapbook designer, and now Online Ed for CK Media. The one common thread in career path is passion. I have always been passionate, sometimes to a fault, for what I am doing. I don’t have the discipline to work a job I don’t absolutely love. I wish I could report that I spend time creating things, but most of my time in this position is spent in front of the computer. We just launched our Beta sites… and to do that, you need a lot of redbull, patience, and a passion for the art and technology.
Pros and cons of being an editor, specifically an online editor.
- People – I have met many wonderful women through my work. I love to meet women of all types who share this common love and passion. I have found some very wonderful friends as well. Friends who were there for me when I hit tough times, friends who rallied around me. It speaks volumes about WHO is in the industry.
- Products – I get to see all the fun new products, often before they are widely available. And considering that fact that I am easily distracted, it helps keep things fresh.
- Travel – this is actually a pro and con. I love to see new places, eat in new places, but business travel is really not as “glamorous” as some think. There have been many a trip when it was the airport to the hotel and back. But again, meeting people along the way is a massive plus!
But I think one of the best parts of my job, is having a place to share. My mind runs a mile a minute. I always have some crazy idea I want to share. This job allows me to do that.
- Stress. The online world is a high stress fast paced game. We are usually either the hero or the villian… not much in between.
- Minutia – there are a lot of little boring non-creative things I do everyday.
- Time – All moms struggle with time management, but anyone in publishing understands the long hours it takes to get the job done. And for me, the line between work and the rest of my life is pretty fuzzy. And you would probably be surprised to know how little I get to create just for me.
There are many scrapbookers who want to pay for their addiction by selling their work or scrapbooking know-how? What advice would you give them?
What is a Coconut Goddess?
haha, I am the coconutgoddess, what that means… that is a secret.
In your personal art, what style defines your work?
Lastly, I hear you are working on a new website, care to share?
Professionally… yes. We are in a public Beta of the new CreatingKeepsakes.com a community for scrapbookers and papercrafters. I hope that the audience will give us a chance and check us out with an open mind. IT really is going to be WAY cool!
Anything else you can think of that you’d like others to know about your world and all the crazy amazing things going on it in?
Just to come check out my blog often, I have some pretty cool projects in the works both for work and personally. Things I know will be a lot of fun! I am dabbliing more and more with sewing and other non-scrapbooking crafts, and blending them together.